Tuesday, February 3, 2015

About a cow

I admitted a guy with a broken femur. Femurs are difficult bones to break, especially in 30-something year old strong men. I initially tried to get the story when he came in, but only got as far as understanding that it was something to do with a cow. Accidents involving cows are not uncommon here in this pastoral, agricultural region. Usually I can make out some kind of verbs that give me a clue. But the response to "did the cow hit you?" and "did you fall off the cow?" was a string of words I've never heard before in Spanish.

I got the story third hand today from one of the other doctors who heard it from a doctor whose Spanish is better than mine.  You can't make this stuff up.

What actually happened: man-with-a-now-broken-leg was massaging the uterus of a cow who had just given birth. There was a cow standing next to new-mama-cow who got spooked/mad/startled and kicked mama-cow. Mama-cow then ran away. The rope attached to her wrapped around the man's leg and he got dragged off over the field, thereby breaking his leg. Of course.