Saturday, July 4, 2015

More patients

A few more stories of patients and their families for you to keep in prayer.

The son of a pastor; they've already lost one child. It was a normal delivery but afterwards we just could not get him off of a whiff of oxygen. The pediatrician and PA got everything arranged for him to see the cardiologist in the capital city and he was found to have a huge defect in his heart. His life expectancy without surgery is 2-4 years; the surgery must be done before 6 months to be effective.


A lady who came in at about 22 weeks of pregnancy with sky high blood pressures and kidney failure. Getting the whole history was difficult; the summary is I stayed up nights thinking about her, sent multiple messages to friends and colleagues in the US asking for their advice. She was really slow to improve even with what I thought was the right treatment. By God's grace she not only lived but I got to see her in follow up and she was vastly better. She declined a tubal ligation and any future pregnancies could be fatal. I pray that she continues to improve and that she makes getting effective birth control a priority. During her hospitalization she had a solemn face the whole time; when I saw her in follow up she was smiling and laughing. What a joy to get to see her again. 



This lady came to our hospital past her due date, practically dragged there by a friend from church who is one of the hospital employees. She has had 8 pregnancies, 4 deliveries, and no living children. They all died either during delivery or in utero. Her husband died 3 months ago. We did a c-section and she got to hear her child cry for the first time. Getting to send her home with her daughter makes the job all worth it.