Monday, December 21, 2015

Last leg

As easily as slipping on my trusty black North Face fleece jacket, I'm back. Holding a hot cup of hot cocoa in the Sea-Tac airport I'm adjusting to the chill in the terminal, not caused by overly zealous setting of the air conditioning, but by the actual climate I'm looking at through big glass windows. This is the first time in 10 years that I will be living in a place with real winter. Fingers crossed it's easy to adjust to.

Traveling the weekend before Christmas makes me feel a little alone- everyone is traveling in pairs or with children, presumably going to spend the holidays with family. When I left on this journey two years ago I left behind a very important person, and that link is now broken. But many of you are people I would never have met if I hadn't been on this crazy adventure and now you are sending your greetings and thoughts, comforting me and making me feel welcome back in my passport country again. (And because everyone loves seeing their name in print, shout outs to Meredith, Megan, Maggie, Amanda, Kyle, Katie, Heather, and Nicky for the messages today.) 

The B and N terminals of SeaTac Airport  feel like Alaska; (almost) welcome home to me. Xoxo.