Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Honduran Heartbreakers ride again!

wild ginger in my favorite tropical colors- these ones are blooming in the hospital courtyard
morning coffee with a view
sunset over the Caribbean as seen from the Hill of Light
My friend Peter brought an audience to watch me on my first ride on my moto. He wants to make a motorcycle "gang" which he calls the Honduran Heartbreakers. I sold my moto to his wife, Katie, when I left Honduras, and on my return here she kindly loaned it back to me for the duration of my stay. Thus, the Honduran Heartbreakers ride again! Puttering up and down the hill on "my" moto is a delight, though something about the extra year of life and my injuries in said time are making me more cautious, or perhaps it is just a rusty balance and unfamiliarity with the new road terrain.

I'm back in Honduras for a two week working visit. My Spanish has come back quickly and it felt nice to be familiar with the visa/customs/immigration process when I arrived in country. Arriving back at the hospital, it feels in some ways like I never left. The faces are familiar and people seem pleased to see me. The charting is the same, and chief complaints haven't changed either.

Fresh eyes see the bright tropical colors, brilliant evening light, monkeys in the trees, varieties of birds. I'm reveling in moments of familiarity while enjoying a new appreciation as well. Mostly it feels good to be useful, to deliver babies, and to assure everyone I haven't forgotten them.