My grandmother is 91 and still lives independently. My fierce independence may come from her, as well as from my mother who had travelled all over the world before it was the in vogue thing to do. My love of playing cards and games definitely comes from my family. Granny still meets friends several times a week to play bridge and canasta (and catch up on the village gossip). On a recent camping trip with my parents (love of the outdoors seems to be another inheritance) my insistence on having a hot cooked meal as least once a day led my mom to comment that I take after my granny.
More than anything, on my trips to visit England, I am reminded of what it means to be part of a family in terms of acceptance. I am known and accepted not for my accomplishments but simply because I am Adrian and Justine's daughter, Margaret's granddaughter. I am welcomed with open arms often by people who have never met me but we are nonetheless connected by common ancestors.
It helps me understand more fully what it means to be part of the family of God. Galatians 4:4-5 says God sent his son to redeem us, that we might receive adoption as sons. Ephesians 1:5 "he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ according to the purpose of his will." This adoption is not based on our efforts, accomplishments, or ability to reach a certain level of 'being a good person,' but is granted as a gift and comes with the rights of being part of a family.
I'm so thankful I've been able to spend time with my earthly family before I move to Honduras. Understanding their legacy and influence in my life lets me marvel even more at the kindness of God; that he placed me in this particular family for a reason, and that he has also adopted me into his family. I may not see my granny again on this side of heaven (she is 91 after all, as she reminded me repeatedly!) but her legacy will live on in the lives of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
