Friday, April 18, 2014

Latina life

There are many things about life here that just fit, and I'm so grateful for them.

I'm thankful that people's doors are open and I can drop by to say hello or borrow a cup of flour.

I'm thankful that my patients are patient, and never complain about having to wait literally hours to see me. It gives me the freedom to take as much time with each person as I want, to ask them about their home life, to address 3 or 4 problems, to demonstrate the stretching exercises I'm recommending, to pray with them.

I'm thankful that I feel cared for as part of a family, even though I'm single and here alone. The men in the missionary community treat me like their daughter and are quick to take care of any mechanical or construction issues I bring up.  The women invite me to dinner, to hang out in their homes, to be part of their lives.  Everyone is generous with their resources and time, including loaning me a car!
This is 'Freddy'- the car that is on loan to me

I'm thankful that Honduran women are liberal with touch; patients hug me, even new acquaintances squeeze my shoulder or put their arm around me as we talk.

I'm thankful that the jungle is alive with sound at dawn. It makes getting up in the mornings much more bearable.

I'm thankful that I have a view of the ocean and islands.

I'm thankful that I get to use my family medicine training, including the skill of being flexible.

I'm thankful that things are always in bloom in the most vibrant colors.

Manzanita flowers. They make fuschia carpets on the ground beneath the trees when they are in bloom.

I'm thankful for air conditioning that makes a room set at 72 degrees feel like the Arctic!