I have to take a minute to brag about my friends. I am SO grateful that God through technology and other modern miracles has allowed me to stay in contact with people all over the world, and share everything from the funny anecdotes to the deepest fears and failings of my heart.
I went through some personal drama recently and in the midst of confusion and uncertainty, I had several close friends surrounding me with love, prayer, and wise counsel. Texts and phone calls from literally around the globe were flooding my phone wanting to hear news, console, congratulate, or whatever emotion was needed to meet me where I was.
I don't talk often about being single but it is a very present reality in my life. One of the hardest things for me about not having a partner is how much of my life could go un-witnessed and un-noticed. Now that I'm a grown-up, even things like holidays may not be celebrated because I'm not with my nuclear family on every birthday or Christmas. Right now, God is overwhelming me with his extravagant love poured out through his children on me. Megan is spending her Christmas with me, leaving behind her own family to be my family for this time. Last night I had inquiries from Ethiopia, Idaho, and just up the hill about how I was doing and what was happening in my life. I felt enveloped in friendship, support, and love. On a daily basis here, my neighbors open their homes to me, invite me for dinner, movies, to be part of their families. They seem to know just what I need, and do sweet things to show me love in many forms.
I know I'm totally taking this out of context but the verse from Hebrews came to mind- since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses let us throw off that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race set before us. My 'cloud of witnesses' has been cheering me on, empowering me to keep running the race, keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus.