Monday, May 18, 2015

Togo

Some descriptions to help you picture where I am. I'm trying to get photos as I'm able- somehow the best moments are times when I don't have my camera, or the light is wrong, or it just feels too intrusive to take a picture of someone.

The country- Togo is in West Africa, with a strange mixture of tribal traditions and colonial legacy both of France and England.  Ghana is very nearby and a patient I saw today came across the border to see us at the hospital. Because she is from Ghana, she and her husband both speak some English, which was a refreshing change.  When I flew into Lome, it felt like a small provincial kind of city, but the grocery stores had real cheeses, and there was an amazing French bakery we stopped at on our way out of town.  The drive up to the hospital was a bit of a blur because I had flown all night the night before and was dozing on and off. The southern part of the country, where the hospital is located, is lush and green. Rainy season has started and it rains almost every night. There are hills surrounding the hospital, and we are right next to a plateau that is known for its hiking and beautiful views. This area is also known for butterflies.

The hospital is located in the village of Tsiko (pronounced “CHEE-co”), near the town of Adeta. The nearest big town that shows up on most maps is Kpalime (pronounced PAH-lee-may) which is about 45 minutes away.  Patients literally come from all over the country and from surrounding countries as well- Ghana, Benin, Ivory Coast, etc. etc.   There is paved road all the way to the hospital gate and the drive from Lome takes about 2.5-3 hours, depending on how many stops you make to buy fresh fruit at the best vendors.

The climate is similar to Honduras: hot and muggy during the day, cooling down at night.  Now in rainy season, there is a thunderstorm and rain every few afternoons which brings the temperature down and cleans the air. At night you can hear mangos falling from the trees, thudding onto the ground below. There are geckos here as in Honduras, but the ones here don’t make noise. I've seen plenty of ants and spiders, though no scorpions and no monkeys yet.

The hospital compound is large, with a path running around the inside that is about ¼ mile long.  There is an airstrip just outside the compound and several of the families who live here are pilots who will be using planes to access more remote parts of the country when they have a working airplane. The hospital buildings sprawl across about half the compound. There is an outpatient clinic building, a separate building for the obstetrics clinic, a nurses’ dorm, a set of overnight call rooms for the mid-level providers, an administration building, and the main hospital building which includes pediatrics, men’s, and women’s wards, as well as maternity, labor, OR, ICU, lab, pharmacy, and ER. There is also an ‘infection’ ward where people who need minimal care but still close supervision (i.e. daily dressing changes, traction on a fracture for several weeks, once daily IV antibiotics, etc.) can stay.  A final building on the hospital side is called the ‘cuisine’ which is a covered but open air building where families of patient or discharged patients who live far away, can stay if they need to be close to the hospital but not admitted (for example, OB patients who are in very early labor but live far away).

The country is part Christian, part Muslim, and mostly animistic. You can see some of the differences with Muslim women wearing scarves over their heads, and certain tribes having different dress. The Fulani tribe has facial tattoos, and a 4 day old Fulani baby I saw in clinic already had tribal markings in the form of 3 lines on each of his cheeks, hands, and feet.  The Fulani wear bead necklaces and have interesting earrings which make them distinct as well.

This evening I was checking on a patient when singing began at the nurses’ station. One of the chaplains was leading the nurses in a song (perhaps a Togolese hymn?) and they were singing in perfect 3 part harmony. As I walked outside to head home, I saw a woman putting out a section of blue tarp and bowing toward what I presume is Mecca for evening prayers as her toddler crawled around exploring.  I assumed that if I spoke French I would be able to function easily here, but I am discovering that the nurses and patients often speak in tribal languages to one another so I literally have no idea what is going on about 80% of the time. I have learned how to say some basic phrases that help me exchange pleasantries with patients. One of the other volunteers here is a former French teacher! I have been pestering her relentlessly with French questions and working on putting the words into practice right away.  The most common tribal language in this region is Ewe (pronounced ‘EH-veh’). Today I saw a patient using a 3 way translation: I spoke in English to the medical assistant who translated into tribal language #1 to a man who spoke tribal language #2 to the patient, and back up the line to me. It made me realize why clinic seems to go so slowly here, and to be very selective about the questions I ask!

Rainy season here = malaria season and typhoid season. Malaria is easily confirmed with one of two different tests, while typhoid is often a presumptive diagnosis in the setting of fecal leukocytes, low peripheral WBCs, abdominal pain and diarrhea.  The pediatric ward especially is full of children with malaria, and every day or two the beds seem to turn over completely and fill up with new cases.  All this should remind me to take my malaria prophylaxis more faithfully, though I don’t think I've missed a day yet so we’ll consider that a win.

Patients' families are responsible for many of the tasks that nurses and techs do in U.S. hospitals, like providing food, toileting, and bathing them.  Family members sleep on the floor next to the beds- I will never be able to complain about a hard bed!  Bath time in the maternity ward is usually the late afternoon when most of the moms sit on a stool next to the bed with a bucket of water next to them. They hold the baby on their laps, or across their laps, and use a bit of the colorful African cloth to dunk in the water and sponge over the baby. I haven’t heard a single peep out of these infants; they must enjoy cooling down!  Most of the time I smell worse than the patients do, with my sweat mingled with the smell of latex gloves, ultrasound gel, and other people’s bodily fluids.

Women here by and large do not wear pants. However, the upper half of the body is not something they think twice about uncovering. If you walk into maternity at any point in the day, at least a third of the women are probably naked from the waist up. Even in the regular women’s’ ward, many women lie in bed with cloth wrapped around them that reaches only up to their rib cage. It is a totally different perspective on modesty and sexuality.  These women are breastfeeding pros. 75% of the post-partum women I see in Honduras are giving their babies some formula by the time I see them at their 1 week checkup.  None of the moms I see here are using any formula outside the hospital at all. A few in the hospital are using formula to fortify expressed breast milk (mostly hand expressed) to their premature infants at our direction.  Again, a completely different perspective and mindset here.  Formula is just too expensive to even consider, and they don’t see it as necessary at all.

I have been really impressed with the skills and knowledge of the long-term doctors. They printed an extensive Treatment Manual which details the common illnesses and injuries seen here and how they work up and treat it. It is so nice to have something to reference in a setting which is completely new, with a different formulary than I am used to, different risk factors in the patient population, and different capabilities than I have worked with before. The Togolese nurses, midwives, and mid-levels (Physician’s Assistants) are also very capable and call only when an intervention that it outside of their skill level needs to be performed (i.e. vacuum delivery, C-section, ultrasound, etc.) I have already learned a lot from them, and am so thankful that they take care of so much, reliving some of the burden on the physicians.

A glimpse of my typical day here: breakfast in my room before rounds at 7:30; hospital rounds until all the patients have been seen (it has typically been 12 or 1pm); lunch break until 2pm; clinic in the afternoon- I've been in the prenatal clinic most afternoons- until all the patients have been seen (in OB it seems like it is usually 6 or 6:30pm); then dinner at the guesthouse. Evening rounds if I am on call are at 8pm.  I've done quite a bit of OB, which I really enjoy, but it has definitely added an element of chaos to the typical day’s schedule. There are constantly new labs that need action, vaginal deliveries that the nurses do but may need a doctor’s backup for resuscitating the baby, labor that stalls out or shows signs of distress that has to go to C-section, etc. etc. etc.  The typical patient load has been 8-10 moms in maternity with 10-12 babies as there seem to be at least one set of twins at all times…right now we have 3 sets!), 6-10 pediatric patients, and 10-12 adult patients.  I am continually reminded of residency with feeling pulled in multiple directions, having too many patients on a medicine team, and being so busy that snatching time to eat seems difficult. The learning curve is also similar to residency, but with a bit more practical experience under my belt I find myself asking colleagues’ questions more for moral support rather than needing someone to tell me what to do.


Tomorrow I'm attempting to go for my first run since arrival. A hike to a waterfall on Saturday was a great first excursion off the compound and it whet my appetite for more. This is a beautiful region.