I just did my first delivery here in Honduras! Besides adjusting to all of the different things in a new system (where the tools are, what they are, who I call for what, etc.) I realized it is also one of my first deliveries where I haven't had an attending either at my elbow or at least in the next room. Our OB-Gyn is out of town today, so my backup is the other family doctor who has been doing deliveries here. It's a strange feeling to be the one responsible now. Fortunately, this delivery went very smoothly with only a small laceration that had to be repaired, but perfect APGARs and healthy mom and baby. I was thankful for my excellent teachers and training in Ventura that allowed me to remain calm.
In some ways the delivery felt very comfortable and familiar, as so many of the patients I delivered in residency were Hispanic and Spanish-speaking. It would almost feel stranger at this point to be delivering Caucasian babies! It feels like just another way that God was preparing me to be here.
In some ways the delivery felt very comfortable and familiar, as so many of the patients I delivered in residency were Hispanic and Spanish-speaking. It would almost feel stranger at this point to be delivering Caucasian babies! It feels like just another way that God was preparing me to be here.