Thursday, January 2, 2014

Traveling mercies


The last 3 days have been full and eventful. There is a loooong story about selling my car, precious Fiona the green VW Beetle but I'll summarize it with the ending- I sold her (yes, cars are feminine in English in my opinion) at 5:30pm on the day I left to an unlicensed Mexican driver for his wife who I'd never met. I then immediately filled out the appropriate forms online for the various DMVs involved (thank God for online forms on a holiday!), as well as contacted

I saw  my insurance company who went above and beyond to help me get everything done by the time I left the country at 11:30pm.

I had the usual overpacking issues- concerns about bags being overweight, having too many, etc. Liz gets a shout out for not only driving me to the airport but then also turning around after she was part way home to pick up my guitar from me after I was told it would cost over $150 to bring it, given all my other necessary luggage. Best money I spent all day was for the luggage carts at LAX (highway robbery at $5 but worth it for 200 lbs of luggage!) and at the connecting airport of Mexico City ($1). I almost felt sorry for the customs agents there when I pressed the randomizing button and it gave me the red light for extra screening. Their faces fell ever so slightly when they opened my very full duffels. Fortunately, they did not feel the need to fully unpack every item and were satisfied with a sample from the top.

I saw Megan at baggage claim in San Pedro Sula and Iain was waiting as promised. Unfortunately one of my bags did not make it from Mexico City; I'm hopefully they'll find it soon. 

We are safely tucked in to my new house where there are more bedrooms than I know what to do with (2 plus a loft). This means I need some visitors! The screens seem to keep out most bugs but there is a blinking firefly flying around my roomy that must have got in. I'll call it my Honduran night light. 

Thanks for your prayers! I'm excited to get settled in.