Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Running

I went for my first run this morning since arriving in Honduras and since I got the flu on Christmas day. It was very dark in my room but I had agreed to meet two other ladies to run so I dragged myself out of bed (peer pressure is amazing motivation). I put on capris and a T-shirt, even briefly considering a long sleeved shirt. It was cold in my room; not so once I got outside.

I jogged slowly down the steep hill and didn't see my running buddies but at this point I was out of bed with shoes on so turning back seemed a bit pointless, even for another hour of sleep. Plus, I was already sweaty 3 minutes into the downhill portion of the run.

I did find my running buddies on the road a ways ahead; I think I got our start time mixed up. The sun by this time wasn't up but was turning the clouds pink. I made it about halfway up the very steep hill before stopping to walk. One day I'll be able to run all the way up to the water tower look out but that day is definitely not today, and likely not tomorrow either.

I sat on my porch at the end of the 30 minute run, dripping in sweat. The day just gets hotter from here and we're in the cold season right now. Hot season will be a new interesting exercise challenge. I think it may be a good time to take up hot yoga!