Back to the steamy jungle, with mangoes, monkeys, geckos, etc. etc.
My journey back to Honduras really began at 5am on Sunday, and I
won't be back in my house until probably 6pm tonight (Wednesday). It has been a
nice way to transition back from my first trip to the U.S. after moving here in
January.
Things I've noticed: everyone is speaking Spanish and I can
actually understand many of the conversations, I've heard the vos form (unique to
Honduran Spanish from what I can tell so far). I'm excited about being picked
up by a friend and her presence (also as a representative of the community) may
be the single factor that makes me feel like I am coming home, rather than just
visiting. I have lived in not just one or two, but many vacation
destinations, and flying into the airport in Roatan makes me feel this acutely.
I was away for a month, starting with several days in Boston
before a 3 week study tour in Israel. The course was through my alma mater,
Gordon College, and was taught by my former Biblical Studies professor Elaine
Phillips. It’s not exaggerating to say
that I feel like we had the best possible experience in Israel. The course was ‘History
and Geography of the Bible’ and we studied everything from geology (“Cenomanian,
hard limestone, deep V-shaped valleys, natural protection, water source is springs!”)
to archaeology (more than just piles of rocks) to modern Israeli history to
music (the sound of our voices reverberating against the walls and ceiling of
the Chapel of St. Ann’s was as lovely as the guitar-led modern praise songs
sung at the top of our lungs against the evening wind at the Sea of Galilee).
It was 4 credits of academics squeezed into 3 weeks of lecture, field study,
exams, and a little free time to enjoy Jerusalem in our own way. The group was
50 strong, composed of 20 Gordon students, a group from ORU, some
Gordon-Conwell seminary students, a handful of pastors, and a couple of ‘independents’
who found the course on their own. I was a little nervous about being the odd
one out in my late 20s with a gaggle of college kids, but ended up being
somewhere in the middle of the age range. These particular college students
were an exceptional bunch, and I really enjoyed the friendships that formed quickly
as we spent most waking moments together.
| "Swimming" in the Dead Sea |
| Judean wilderness |
| Jerusalem as seen from the Mt. of Olives |
| boat ride on the Sea of Galilee |