Another crazy week. There are lots of medical details in this one- be forewarned.
Death:
Really it all goes back to 3am a few days ago, when a code blue was called over the main radio channel. The entire compound of doctors rushed to the delivery room where a baby had just been delivered who barely had a pulse and was not breathing. Mom had come in shortly before, and was complete when the OB arrived to check her. The baby looked ok on the monitors but the OB described that there was such thick meconium pouring out that he started looking for a maternal rectovaginal fistula. He said it was unlike anything he had seen before, and a sign of severe fetal stress for a long time prior. The baby's heart rate was initially fine, but the delivery was complicated by the meconium, a really tight nuchal cord, and a 90 second shoulder dystocia. By the time the baby came all the way out, she was completely floppy and not breathing. I was so proud of our OB-Gyn (I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say that OB-Gyns are not typically the first responders in a newborn resuscitation) who started CPR on the baby while the nurses called the Code Blue.
Within less than an hour, our pediatrician had the baby's heart rate back, she was breathing on her own, and seemed to be ok. About 16 hours later, the nurses called the pediatrician back to the hospital and said the baby was struggling to breathe. By the time she arrived, baby Kenya was blue/purple and not breathing. Judy, the pediatrician, intubated here, then called the other missionaries to get help breathing for the baby while she worked on a treatment plan, orders, educating the nurses, etc. My shift went fine without incident, and I left the hospital around 1:30am, leaving another doctor bagging her (breathing artificially through the tube; we don't have a ventilator for neonates here). My main radio crackled to life at 1:56 with another code blue. By the time I got back there, they had been doing chest compressions on the baby and pushing meds, and with no signs of life after 30 minutes, we stopped the code.
Life:
Clinic the next day had 2 interesting cases. The first was a 12 year old who is pregnant. It was my first visit with her, so I didn't ask about her circumstances. She was sweet, uncertain, and tiny. Everything seemed healthy with the pregnancy, so I asked her multiple times if there was anything she had questions about, or wanted to talk about. Eventually she told me about a rash she'd had for a few weeks. It was all over her hands, arms, legs, and some on her chest/belly. I wasn't sure, so I asked our OB. He wasn't sure, so I asked our visiting internal medicine doctor (when I started presenting the case, he stopped me at one point and said "you know I don't usually see anyone under 18, or anyone who is pregnant, right?"). The internist was the one who came up with the probable diagnosis- prurigo of pregnancy!
Then there was the 16 year old who came in to see our pediatrician because of 2 weeks of constipation. Judy astutely ordered a pregnancy test which was positive. I did an ultrasound and discovered she was 29 weeks pregnant. She denied over and over again that she had ever had sex. My limitations in Spanish were very apparent as I tried to ask about possible sexual assault, discuss the details of what sex actually is, etc. She continued to deny that she had ever been sexually active. Her mother was not in the room while we were doing the ultrasound or interview, but approached me later in the hallway to ask about the results. When I informed her that her daughter was in fact quite pregnant, she started crying. After discussing how difficult this was going to be for their family, her final words as she walked away were "we are just to have to give it away (regalarlo)." I asked one of the missionaries who has been here a bit longer about this. She said it is very common here when people don't want their child, that they will give it to someone else, or simply leave it at the other person's house and disappear. There is not much formal adoption, or legal pathway. They simply give the child away, even if the recipient doesn't particularly want another child. I still don't quite understand why the recipient doesn't give it back, or what happens if there is anything that needs legal parental consent.
The medical highlight of the week was doing my first emergency c-section halfway on my own. We were watching a lady in labor and the baby's heart rate went down to the 90s and stayed there for a few minutes. I called the OB, we moved her to the OR, were going to try to let her push (she was 8-9 cm), but the heart rate just didn't recover and we decided to go ahead with a C-section. All 3 doctors involved (myself, our OB, and our ER doc who pushed ketamine) had college students shadowing us that day who got to come into the room. If their big eyes were any indication, I'd say they were all excited and nervous. I scrubbed first, opened, got down to the uterus, and he scrubbed while I was doing that, getting to the table to help me deliver the baby, then he took over closing everything as I took the baby to the incubator (yey family medicine training!). Healthy crying baby and healthy mom was a good end to an intense week.
Death:
Really it all goes back to 3am a few days ago, when a code blue was called over the main radio channel. The entire compound of doctors rushed to the delivery room where a baby had just been delivered who barely had a pulse and was not breathing. Mom had come in shortly before, and was complete when the OB arrived to check her. The baby looked ok on the monitors but the OB described that there was such thick meconium pouring out that he started looking for a maternal rectovaginal fistula. He said it was unlike anything he had seen before, and a sign of severe fetal stress for a long time prior. The baby's heart rate was initially fine, but the delivery was complicated by the meconium, a really tight nuchal cord, and a 90 second shoulder dystocia. By the time the baby came all the way out, she was completely floppy and not breathing. I was so proud of our OB-Gyn (I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say that OB-Gyns are not typically the first responders in a newborn resuscitation) who started CPR on the baby while the nurses called the Code Blue.
Within less than an hour, our pediatrician had the baby's heart rate back, she was breathing on her own, and seemed to be ok. About 16 hours later, the nurses called the pediatrician back to the hospital and said the baby was struggling to breathe. By the time she arrived, baby Kenya was blue/purple and not breathing. Judy, the pediatrician, intubated here, then called the other missionaries to get help breathing for the baby while she worked on a treatment plan, orders, educating the nurses, etc. My shift went fine without incident, and I left the hospital around 1:30am, leaving another doctor bagging her (breathing artificially through the tube; we don't have a ventilator for neonates here). My main radio crackled to life at 1:56 with another code blue. By the time I got back there, they had been doing chest compressions on the baby and pushing meds, and with no signs of life after 30 minutes, we stopped the code.
Life:
Clinic the next day had 2 interesting cases. The first was a 12 year old who is pregnant. It was my first visit with her, so I didn't ask about her circumstances. She was sweet, uncertain, and tiny. Everything seemed healthy with the pregnancy, so I asked her multiple times if there was anything she had questions about, or wanted to talk about. Eventually she told me about a rash she'd had for a few weeks. It was all over her hands, arms, legs, and some on her chest/belly. I wasn't sure, so I asked our OB. He wasn't sure, so I asked our visiting internal medicine doctor (when I started presenting the case, he stopped me at one point and said "you know I don't usually see anyone under 18, or anyone who is pregnant, right?"). The internist was the one who came up with the probable diagnosis- prurigo of pregnancy!
Then there was the 16 year old who came in to see our pediatrician because of 2 weeks of constipation. Judy astutely ordered a pregnancy test which was positive. I did an ultrasound and discovered she was 29 weeks pregnant. She denied over and over again that she had ever had sex. My limitations in Spanish were very apparent as I tried to ask about possible sexual assault, discuss the details of what sex actually is, etc. She continued to deny that she had ever been sexually active. Her mother was not in the room while we were doing the ultrasound or interview, but approached me later in the hallway to ask about the results. When I informed her that her daughter was in fact quite pregnant, she started crying. After discussing how difficult this was going to be for their family, her final words as she walked away were "we are just to have to give it away (regalarlo)." I asked one of the missionaries who has been here a bit longer about this. She said it is very common here when people don't want their child, that they will give it to someone else, or simply leave it at the other person's house and disappear. There is not much formal adoption, or legal pathway. They simply give the child away, even if the recipient doesn't particularly want another child. I still don't quite understand why the recipient doesn't give it back, or what happens if there is anything that needs legal parental consent.
The medical highlight of the week was doing my first emergency c-section halfway on my own. We were watching a lady in labor and the baby's heart rate went down to the 90s and stayed there for a few minutes. I called the OB, we moved her to the OR, were going to try to let her push (she was 8-9 cm), but the heart rate just didn't recover and we decided to go ahead with a C-section. All 3 doctors involved (myself, our OB, and our ER doc who pushed ketamine) had college students shadowing us that day who got to come into the room. If their big eyes were any indication, I'd say they were all excited and nervous. I scrubbed first, opened, got down to the uterus, and he scrubbed while I was doing that, getting to the table to help me deliver the baby, then he took over closing everything as I took the baby to the incubator (yey family medicine training!). Healthy crying baby and healthy mom was a good end to an intense week.