Friday, July 18, 2014

Spanish reflections of the day

I glanced at the demographics sheet of a patient I saw today. Under profession they wrote 'anciano' which basically means 'old person.' 'Old' though is more often translated 'viejo;' 'anciano' is more like 'ancient.' I grinned a little to myself when I came across that. The nurses will use it sometimes when they call you on the radio about a patient in the emergency room and you ask how old the patient is.  "Oh doctor, he's ancient."

I use the phrase 'ojalá' a lot which is originally from Arabic in Spain and means technically 'May God grant that...' or 'I hope that...'  The phrase more commonly used here that I have started to pick up on is 'primero Dios.' Literally it translates 'first God' but is used to mean something similar to 'if God wills.'  People will say something they hope or plan for the future- like a trip to town, or feeling better, or returning for an appointment, and will preface with 'primero Dios.' I find it interesting how many of these phrases are woven into Spanish and used commonly even by non-religious people.