Sunday, October 26, 2014

Deluge

There are good days, when things move predictably along with some pleasant interactions, some time for recreation, or a special event. Then there are the days where nothing goes according to any plan you may have had in mind, and the result is an incredibly amazing day. Clearly today was the latter.

As previously mentioned, rainy season seems to have sputtering to life, with showers every other afternoon and some generally cooler temperatures. Today's storm ushered in the legitimate rainy season, a tropical downpour lasting most of the day (7am - 6pm or so).

The sound of the rain lulled me back to sleep from an early morning call from the hospital. By the time I got out of bed the rain was pelting hard, and the power was off. I drove to the hospital (thank you Mike Yost and Iain McKenzie for fixing the car!) to round on a couple of patients.

When I first walked in, there was a little water starting to leak out of the plant area of the inner courtyard into the walkways. After an hour or so, the water level was rising to the point that it was covering the entire courtyard and invading patient care areas as well. Apparently the outlet drains were clogged and until that problem was remedied, we were fighting a losing battle.

water pouring into the courtyard from the roof

sweeping water towards the ladies with the mops

I went to help a friend get her windows taped with garbage bags and duct tape to keep the driving rain from getting the house even wetter than it was. Then I read a book on the couch with her baby on my lap. Napping or lying down with a baby is the best.

Things finally calmed down enough that Liz and I got to make our first meal of the day- Trader Joe's pumpkin pancakes!!  Festive, seasonal, and delicious. We worked by candlelight and camping lantern as the power was still off.
The late afternoon held a game of Settlers of Catan, which I predictably lost, once again.

Called back to the hospital to help deliver a baby (my stories always seem to include babies...)  before closing out the evening with a movie. The power came back on after the movie was finished and we fell asleep to the sound of the rain.

Off the compound rivers were flooding, roads were washing out, hillsides were collapsing. It is incredible the amount of water that comes down in one of these storms. I'm thankful to be safe and dry in my house!