The jungle is very much alive at night. Most of the time I stay safe and sound inside, being surprised only by very large spiders, occasionally scorpions, and plenty of smaller unidentified bugs that flit around my house.
Tonight I stuffed down my fear of snakes and of the jungle at night, and went on a night hike in the hill above the hospital with a small group of friends. We saw some leafcutter ants making a path across the road, looked at the moon through a telescope and could see its craters, and I stared at the silhouette of tree branches with the moonbeams shining through.
The highlight of the evening, however, was the two kinkajous that we spotted up in the trees. Everything I know about them I just learned from this Wikipedia article. They looked like a cross between a koala bear, Yoda, and a kiwifruit. Kind of adorable.
Tonight as I was leaving a friend's house I heard a sound like a branch crashing in the jungle. We ran outside with a large flashlight and saw an anteater ambling along a branch. We weren't fast enough to get a photo, but I can save the mental imagine nonetheless. It's incredible to think what lives in the vegetation I'm surrounded by.
Tonight I stuffed down my fear of snakes and of the jungle at night, and went on a night hike in the hill above the hospital with a small group of friends. We saw some leafcutter ants making a path across the road, looked at the moon through a telescope and could see its craters, and I stared at the silhouette of tree branches with the moonbeams shining through.
The highlight of the evening, however, was the two kinkajous that we spotted up in the trees. Everything I know about them I just learned from this Wikipedia article. They looked like a cross between a koala bear, Yoda, and a kiwifruit. Kind of adorable.
Tonight as I was leaving a friend's house I heard a sound like a branch crashing in the jungle. We ran outside with a large flashlight and saw an anteater ambling along a branch. We weren't fast enough to get a photo, but I can save the mental imagine nonetheless. It's incredible to think what lives in the vegetation I'm surrounded by.

