On a lighter note, there is a trend showing up in my life which I have to laugh about. As previously mentioned, our method of communication here is ham radios. That means there is no way to leave a message for someone and if you get no response the second time you call someone you generally give up for awhile. The exception is when the nurses are trying to reach a doctor about a patient. In this case they persist usually for 4 or 5 attempts, then try another physician.
Every time I am on call and I try to take a shower, I hear a crackle of the radio and the call starts "KL3TU, Dra. Mackenzie me escucha?)" This usually starts when I have turned the water on and am fully soaked but before I am anywhere near the end of my shower. It happens predictably at 7:30am when one might typically be taking a shower, but it has also occurred at 4:30pm, 9:40pm, and this morning at 5:15am (not even my patient!) If it were anyone besides the hospital calling me I would just call them back later, but our system doesn't have a great way to communicate that when it comes to patient care. As a result, I end up hopping dripping wet out of the shower, running to the radio in a towel, trying not to slip on the slick tile floor with wet feet to answer.
So if you see me on call and I'm a sticky sweaty mess, it's probably because I'm avoiding the shower!