Monday, August 25, 2014

manna

one day's haul
It is avocado season! One of the trees next to my house is producing boatloads of a delicious green variety. Every hour or so I heard a thud and rustle as another avocado falls and rolls down through the dry leaves on the hill. It is another grownup Easter egg hunt!

Tropical fruit seasons remind me of the Israelites collecting manna. They were only given enough for each day (or two if it was the day before the Sabbath). If they tried to store it or hold on to it, it went bad. Even with the modern convenience of freezers to preserve some fruits, most of it has to be eaten immediately or it goes bad.

Avocados are allowing me to bless people- neighbors, friends, staff. I can't eat all of these by myself (8 from Saturday, 51 from Sunday, 8 so far today) so I'm giving them away to all pasers-by. Then the tree drops more!