Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday night lights

Never a dull moment around here. I failed to mention in my busy day Wednesday blog post that immediately before deciding to do a C-section on woman #3, I left the hospital for 10 minutes (leaving a very capable family medicine resident with her) to celebrate the 5th birthday of this girl.



Tonight I invited a few people over for dinner, a select crowd who I knew wouldn't judge me too harshly if my food was sub-par. I'm a little gun-shy given my recent cooking disasters, but tonight seemed on course to go well. I was even a little ahead of schedule with food prep when guests began arriving. One was missing, so half the party went to go look for him. As they walked out to the car, those of us remaining in the house heard "Dr....adelante a la enfermeria." Did I mention that we had started inducing a woman's labor earlier that day and expected her to deliver sometime in the middle of the night? From the slightly panicked tone in the nurse's voice, we understood that she was going to deliver a lot sooner than that. We ran to our friend's Land Cruiser, roared down the hospital, and 4 of us (all family medicine doctors!) ran/leaped/skipped into the labor room. As we pushed open the door we heard a baby crying and were greeted by the stunned face of the nurse who had just done the delivery. Three of us doctors made a complete mess of the newborn care process (including getting purple antiseptic all over the baby's torso and legs, forgetting to give the vaccines, etc) while the fourth delivered the placenta.

Our missing friend turned up in the hospital hallway, apparently having first gone to my house where the lights were on and food was on the stove but no one answered his knocking, then to another friend's house where her car was missing, then to the only logical place where all of us would be on a Friday night- the hospital! The chicken curry we got back to at the house was declared a success (it might just have been politeness). It must not have been terrible because I was able to convince the guys to help me with some home improvement projects with food as my bartering chip.

Photo documentation of the Friday night festivities
\
I can't promise that all my stories will involve delivering a baby, but it would great if they did!