Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Treasures in heaven

You know those moments when something finally clicks and makes sense in a whole new way? I had one of those moments this morning. Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (ESV).  Mold, to me, fits in with the 'moth and rust' categories of destruction and goodness did that come home to me this week.

The day started as I walked into the kitchen and smelled a curious smell. Fruity, strong, coming from one corner of the kitchen. I realized in an instant that all of my bananas were gone! I have a hook on which the bananas hang, and there had been 5 there the night before. Now there were none. To be more precise, there were none hanging up, but there were five thin strips of banana peel. I glanced at the counter top and saw 5 ripe bananas lying on their sides, with a thin strip of peel missing. The rate of ripening of things in this climate is unreal.  Trips to town for me are likely going to be predicated on how much fresh produce I have left, and it really only keep for a few days. Sometimes I picture the Israelites collecting manna every morning, wishing they could just get a bigger basket and avoid the process for a day or two, but then waking to find moldy manna.

Next reality check was pulling out some clothing from my drawer. I must have put an item away slightly damp, as when I pulled it out there was a line of mold with little fuzzy edges in a crease. Gross!!  A bag that had been sitting on the floor in the closet also had mold starting to work on the straps. Ugh.

It was a good reminder for me to hold lightly onto material possessions, be they food, clothing, or "imperishables" as ultimately they will all be destroyed somehow, by mold, moths, rust, or fire. None of it is mine to keep, and none of it should control my heart. I don't think it's bad to enjoy having things, but the more my heart is attached to them, the more I am satisfying myself with lesser pleasures which I will eventually lose.